Today is the 35th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court ruling that struck down nearly all laws restricting abortion. Since 1973 it’s estimated that nearly 50 million unborn babies have been legally killed in the womb.
I think abortion is the slavery of our day. God grant that in a hundred years our grandchildren will be astounded that it was ever permitted, and that as they did in the 18th and 19th centuries, Christians will lay down their lives to fight against this evil. If abortion is still legal in a century, let it not be because the church of Jesus Christ stood by and watched it happen.
I thought it could be helpful to point to some resources that aid Christians in proclaiming both the evil of abortion and the amazing mercy of Christ to those who have been or could be involved in it.
- Abort73.com is a great comprehensive resource on abortion. Their site is well-researched scientifically and theologically.
- Stand to Reason has lots of information about all sorts of ethical topics from a Christian perspective. They have a lot of great suggestions for kindly and winsomely arguing for the humanity of the unborn.
- Sermons and articles on abortion from John Piper. One of the best is “Ten Reasons Why it is Wrong to Take the Life of Unborn Children”.
- Care Net, which was started by one of my professors, is a network of pregnancy resource centers. These centers are the front lines in the battle over abortion, ministering to women who are in desperate situations. It’s vital that Christians demonstrate that we are pro-life, not just anti-abortion, and local pregnancy resource centers are a great way to do that in a very hands-on way. Care Net can help you find a local center and get involved.
- Another great pro-life choice is adoption. Bethany Christian Services is one of the biggest Christian adoption organizations. Also, Justin Taylor, whose blog is the Drudge Report of solid evangelicalism, lists agencies that help finance adoption. Justin has adopted 2 kids and often points to good adoption resources.
Of course, the most important thing we can do is pray that God will have mercy on our nation (and others) by stopping this holocaust and convicting people of the importance of protecting the unborn, who are created in his image. Pray that the church will speak the word of God boldly, declaring that the taking of innocent life is detestable to God, and that his mercy is freely available in Christ, for abortion and every other sin.
Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter. If you say, “Behold, we did not know this,” does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who keeps watch over your soul know it, and will he not repay man according to his work? –Proverbs 24:11-12