In no particular order.
- Marvin Gaye’s “Sexual Healing,” Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Live From Mars
- Copland’s “Hoedown,” Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Live at the Quick
- The Beatles’ “Hey Jude” (in the style of Aretha Franklin & Duane Allman), Derek Trucks Band w/ Susan Tedeschi, 04.12.08 (Wanee Fest, Live Oak, FL)
- Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love,” The Duhks, 06.11.08 (Charlotte, NC)
- Bob Dylan’s “She Belongs to Me,” The Happenin’, various dates ca 2002
- Any cover by the Black Crowes. They use covers to point you to their influences, and those will open up a whole new world of music you never heard. I’ve bought several records and gotten into several artists just because the Crowes covered one of their songs.
What are some of yours?
11 thoughts on “Favorite live covers. Go.”
Sorry for all the Dave:
Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower” by Dave Matthews (Central Park)
Neil Young’s “Cortez the Killer” by Dave Matthews (Central Park)
Johnny Cash’s “Long Black Veil” by Dave Matthews (Live w/ Tim Reynolds)
Marvin Gaye’s “Sexual Healing” by Ben Harper (Live from Mars)
The Police’s “King of Pain” by Alanis Morissette (MTV Unplugged)
The Flaming Lips’ “She Don’t Use Jelly” by Ben Folds Five (Sessions at W 54th)
The Postal Services “Such Great Heights” by Ben Folds (Radio Station Cover)
in the order they pop into my head….
1. Gillian Welch’s “Orphan Girl” by Over the Rhine (at the Visulite in Charlotte Fall 2007).
2. Van Morrison’s “Astral Weeks” by The Swell Season (really just Glen Hansard) (at ACL festival in Austin, TX, September 2008).
3. Lionel Richie’s “Stuck on You” by the everybodyfields (at the visulite in Charlotte, 2007). They always pull out their obscure, unexpected influences to cover and close the show… as seen in:
4. The Everly Brothers “All I Have to Do is Dream” by the everybodyfields (at the visulite in Charlotte, November 2008. this was their encore and they walked out into the crowd to sing it, where we all gladly sang along.).
5. The old Hymn “I’ll Fly Away” by the Avett Brothers (to a sold out crowd, all singing along in Greensboro, 10.31.08)
6. Dylan’s “Watchtower” by Dave (the ampitheatre formerly known as Lakewood in Atlanta. 1999 or 2000?)
7. Mavis Staples’, et al “Waiting for My Child” by Patty Griffin (at ACL festival in Austin, TX, sept 08. breathtaking.)
8. Temple of the Dog’s “Hunger Strike” by Pearl Jam (various times in the 90s and early 00s.)
9. Oasis’ “Wonderwall” by Ryan Adams.
1. Bill Mallonee – Resplendent
2. Jay-Z Live at Madison Square – All of em
3. The dude who sings the wonder years theme song at woodstock that you showed me.
You just started the list with “Sexual Healing” to get attention.
I think I made it pretty clear it was in no particular order. Resisting temptation to make suggestive comment.
Jake are you feeling OK? You may need some healing.
John Prine’s “Angel From Montgomery” by Susan Tedeschi (Winter Jam)
Postal Service’s “Such Great Heights” by Iron and Wine (don’t know if there is a recording of him doing it live…sure you can find one on youtube….but I saw him do it in Chapel Hill and it was great)
Bob Marley’s “I shot the sheriff” by Charlie Hunter Trio (The Soapbox here in Wilmington bout a block away…)
Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” by Jeff Buckley (live in Chicago DVD)
Bob Dylan’s “I Shall Be Released” by The Band (The Last Waltz) // honorable mention goes to Wilco’s cover of this tune featuring the Fleet Foxes…
David Bowie’s “The Man Who Sold the World” by Nirvana (Unplugged)
Ray Charles’ “I’ve Gotta Woman” by John Mayer (Try)
Townes Van Zandt’s “Poncho and Lefty” Willie Nelson (a bunch of records, austin city limits, and a bunch of crap on CMT…he’ll do anything to make money right now….but it’s always freakin’ good!!)
June Carter’s(I think it’s actually the Carter family) “No Depression” by Uncle Tupelo (live board mix bootleg)
The Kinks “Act Nice and Gentle” by the Black Keys (live board mix bootleg)
Jake I figured you put “Statesboro Blues” from Allman Bros. live at the Filmore
Now that you’ve done a favorite live covers….I really want you to do a favorite covers (period) …
Nevermind…I stole the ideal….
Come over to my blog and give me a list of your top 5 favorite covers of all time…
Doesn’t matter if it is live or not!!
RESPLENDENT??? Another Mallonee fan? cool. I didn’t know that that song was a cover. Who did the original, Jay D?
Oh, by the way, “My Back Pages” by Bill (Bob, originally) is one of my favorite covers. The others are already listed by others above.
so many great ones were already named. Mine that aren’t mentioned are – – *Fleetwood Mac’s “Everywhere” by Vampire Weekend
*Smokey Robinson’s “You Really Got a Hold on Me” by She & Him
*Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice” by Susan Tedeschi
“My Back Pages” by Dylan, “Out on the Weekend” by Neil Young – VOL/Bill Mallonee
“The Drugs Don’t Work” by The Verve – Ben Harper
“My Hero” by Foo Fighters – Beloved
“Coat of Many Colors” by Dolly Parton – Emmylou Harris